When I started this blog I didn't really know what shape it would take. I'd never done writing of this kind before and obviously I didn't know what this Italian adventure would lead to, what kind of inspiration I'd find, what stories I'd have (or want...) to share. For the most part it has been fairly light in tone, reporting back on some of the differences between Italian and American culture, what it's like to live in a city that is both incredibly old and colorfully modern, and how challenging it is to find good snack foods yet easy to find great red wine for very little money.
There was one particularly entry after my first four weeks that was a little more introspective, where I admitted to the feelings of fear, anxiety, sadness that had marked those early weeks. When I wrote, though, I was happily coming out of that stage and starting to grasp the depth of how amazing the journey was.
Maybe it's the 4-week point that marks a time of introspection, assessment of what has been and what I hope will be for this experience. What is somewhat surprising to me is that these first four weeks have had their share of emotional upheaval, of highs and lows that I did not anticipate, just like my first weeks here last fall. The reasons are quite different, though, which I suppose is to be expected.
High #1: I have met some incredibly fabulous women who I now consider good friends. Two of them are also writing blogs which may be part of the reason for me to write something that's a little more personal as their entries are wonderfully open and vulnerable. They have inspired me.
Some of these new friends are here for a short time, others aren't really sure how long they will be here. They've all come for different reasons and are looking to gain different things from the experience. But the bond that comes from all of us going through the transition into Florentine life as a non-Italian is really quite incredible.
High #2: I've stayed quite busy with work which is fantastico, it takes away the pressure and means I can buy more gelato and cheap red wine and take some trips to truly maximize this experience. Oh, and get a gym membership to help combat the gelato and red wine.
High #3: I'm kinda sorta learning more Italian. I can understand quite a bit more and can even stutter out the occasional phrase which is a far cry from where I was last fall. I'm planning to take a class that someone told me about which should help even more. Very excited about that.
Low: Most of you know that there was a boy, originally mentioned but not named as "cute waiter" at my favorite pizza place who was finally just mentioned by name as my scooter driver. Unfortunately and sadly, I will no longer be a passenger on his scooter nor will I be indulging in pizza at his restaurant. For better or worse, I realized that it was not a relationship that had a future because frankly, I was being treated pretty crappy. Tears have been shed, feelings are bruised but I go on having learned a little bit more about what I am willing or not willing to put up with.
I'm so thankful for my new girlfriends who pointed out that if you're going to be in any kind of relationship with an Italian man (whether for a week or a lifetime), he had damn well better make you feel beautiful and sexy because that is what Italian men do. I apparently found the one who was missing that critical gene and I am not willing to put up with that.
The Silver Lining: Just as my relationship was unraveling, I came into contact with an Italian man who, in the course of 1 hour (a totally innocent hour, I assure you), managed to make me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. Because that is what Italian men do and it was exactly what I needed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
WOW! How is it that I am just reading these now. I totally suck! But, what a difference a month can make (well here in Italy at least). Stay strong and true to what YOU really want Maggie. You can never go wrong if you do that.
ReplyDelete